Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Year as a Maz Student

For the first three years of high school, I always imagined that my senior year would fly by. I thought that I would be so busy with dealing with my nostalgia and cherishing every moment that the end of the year would come before I was ready and I would never want it to end. Well, turns out, senior year drags on like any other year, and when summer's just around the corner, you want it more than ever. I want to be done with calculus, done with physics, done with English! There is one class, however, that I'm not quite ready to leave: European History.
The first time I heard of Maz was my freshman year. My mom knew her, and wanted to introduce her to me so I could join Model U.N. She followed this proposition by telling me, "Maz is nice, but if you mess up, she'll kick your butt." As a weak little ninth grader, I decided to steer clear. The next time I encountered Maz was my junior year. As a student of her "next-door neighbor" Mr. Morgans, the two teachers were always running in and out of each other's classrooms. I was friends with people in her senior classes, and virtually everyone I talked to highly recommended taking her AP class, as tough as it was. Even people who didn't really care about school insisted that it was the most beneficial class that had ever taken. So, when school began in September, I knew that I was in for a ride.
Now, as graduation comes closer and closer, I honestly cannot imagine my senior year without this class. When my other classes was boring, history was a pick-me-up. Even though calculus and physics put me to sleep, history is what kept my day going. You never knew what was going to happen: random outbreaks into debate (such as Amber attacking me for calling African tribes "innocent"), a myriad of projects (such as my giant "waterfall of communism"), and hilarious moments in class (such as Anthony always texting and not noticing that everyone could see him) were plentiful. This was my all-time favorite class, and I can't even explain the number of times in conversation with my history buff family that I've now been able to participate. I can tell you the tribulations in England in the Middle Ages; I can tell you the whole story of the French Revolution; I can tell you the saga of the Romanovs. I only hope that my college classes are all just as enticing as this one has been. Thank you, Maz.

No comments: